Are you afraid of surgery as much as I am? Although it may be an option for some, it becomes a must for others, particularly when dealing with prostate cancer, as surgery is a common treatment option for this disease. Prostate cancer surgery is known as radical prostatectomy, and it involves the removal of the entire prostate gland as well as some of the surrounding tissues, including seminal vesicles (that make most of the fluid for semen).
Prostate cancer surgery is done either by open radical prostatectomy method or laparoscopic radical prostatectomy method. Let me give you a quick overview of both of these approaches.
- Open radical prostatectomy is the thing of the past in which surgeon operates a single incision to remove the prostate.
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy is the method in which surgeons operate several small incisions to remove the prostate.
But, first and foremost, this article is not about prostate cancer surgery; rather, it is about the best prostate cancer surgeon in Canada. No, I did not bring this article to provide you with a list of the top surgeons in the market. So, what is the purpose of this post? Keep an eye out for updates.
Keep These Considerations in Mind When Selecting A Prostate Surgeon.
As we have discussed prostate surgery above, now we will talk over the best prostate cancer surgeon.
Radical prostatectomy is one of the most difficult surgeries that surgeons perform, and many people indeed experience a variety of side effects as a result of the surgery, which necessitates skill and expertise to deal with, so it is critical to find the best surgeons, but how can one ensure that what is best for them is done? Let’s have a look at the following points:
- Look for surgeons who have conducted a large number of operations. This operation necessitates a high level of knowledge and experience; the more surgeries he performs, the better the outcome.
- Look for surgeons that work in multidisciplinary teams or with excellent support staff, as their experience is just as important as the surgeons.
- Always inquire about the surgical outcome from the doctors, as the more experienced ones will maintain all of their patients’ information up to date.
- Many people wonder whether they should seek a second opinion or not. Yes, it is always a good idea to seek a second opinion if at all possible.
- Choose surgeons or institutes that have their support network so you may share your experiences with others.
- Never choose a surgeon solely based on marketing; do your homework first.
Look Over These Red Flags As Well.
So, in addition to the points listed above, these are other things to think about that is:
- Don’t hire a prostate cancer surgeon who is only interested in selling his or her procedure without considering the needs of his or her patients.
- Only expedite operations if they are necessary; if your surgeon is rushing you into a surgery that you don’t need, think twice before saying yes.
- As previously stated, look for outcomes; if your surgeon has difficulties in informing you of the results, this is a red indicator for you.
Furthermore, urologists are the greatest prostate cancer surgeons because they are the ones that remove the necessary cancerous tissue while other health specialists handle subjects like oncology and radiology.
I hope that this post has aided you in deciding how to locate the best prostate cancer surgeon and that in the future, instead of wasting time and energy looking for the finest surgeon, you will just read this article and remember the points you will learn.