In dentistry, the equipment which helps dentists examine their patients’ oral cavities during routine dental examinations is known as dental explorers. This equipment helps to check and diagnose cavities, and plaque build-up on patients’ teeth. Due to its small handheld design, it’s easy to hold while exploring the oral cavity. Additionally, it contains a small pointed tip that helps to inspect crowns, bridges, and fillings on a tooth after its placement.
A Dentist uses explorers to determine whether any of the teeth have problems that need care and treatment. Although the majority of explorer tips are straight, some explorers have bent tips to help dentists access those areas which are hard to reach otherwise.
Detection Of Cavities and Tooth Decays
Experts use this tool to detect minor decay. Additionally, its other aspect enhances sensory perception. Tactile inspection of subgingival dents with an explorer is effective. These might include classifying odontoclastic resorption deposits and subgingival calculi. It can be helpful in detecting cavity and gum disease symptoms. Its knob has a pointed appearance and a sharp edge at the end. These were used to grind away the plaque and tartar from between the teeth. A surgeon may use this sharp tip to examine a clear hole as well. Although it may appear primitive, this device has become important in preventive dentistry. Therefore, using an oral explorer is helpful to determine tooth sensitivity by pressing on it. The flat function of the edge makes this possible. Moreover, this also helps to collect food particles between the gums and teeth. The dental explorations are available in various shapes, including round or plain.
Sickle probe: Dental Explorer
Sickle probes are also known as explorers, which helps to find the areas of tooth decay and cavities. They help to identify the signs and symptoms of dental caries under the tongue cheeks or in the deep pockets of the teeth. These are curved in shape and made at an angle of 90 degrees with the lower shank, which allows detecting the cavities in deep spaces or in between the teeth.
Dentists prefer to use this equipment for regular checkups of oral health of patients, such as in determining the symptoms of tartar, plaque, calculus, or other deposits.
Functions And Features Of Dental Explorers
A explorer tool is used to inspect for abnormal tissue such as:
- Caries detection
- It is beneficial to use in identifying dentin and enamel damages such as resorptive odontoclastic lesions and broken teeth. A cavity can develop in a pinhole in the tooth.
- Tapping the explorer’s sharp tip on a tooth signals sensitivity. Additionally, it removes debris stuck between gum and teeth.
- These are of various types, which help in filling the materials vertically and pressing them in cavities.
- Different practitioners operate Explorers differently. They mostly depend on the patient’s needs. A patient who has been taking dental care regularly for ten years and whose dental status found no issues may not have to undergo exploration. In contrast, people who do not undergo regular checkups may need nonsurgical medications. Assuming a diagnosis is complete should not lead to medical endpoint commitment.
- These are also used to detect the tooth’s occlusal surface and the small fractures.
- Explorers are sterilizable and reusable. Dentists should make sure that equipment is properly cleaned and sterilized.
Diagnosis Of Carious Lesions
The traditional method of diagnosing dental caries is to use explorers. Anyhow, research has shown that this method results in irreversible damage to the teeth’ surface while promoting the progression of lesions. Dental exploration interferes with remineralization and can cause transfer cariogenic bacteria can spread to neighboring teeth. This instrument can also result in a wrong diagnosis when used to assess occlusal surfaces. It is only recommended to use them for removing soft plaque and stains from tooth surfaces. To determine caries, a visual inspection should always precede. A dry surface and magnifying loupes are effective in making the examination easier.
In order to remove the decayed tooth or fill the cavities, specific dental surgical instruments are used, and dental explorers are one of them. If you are looking for a premium quality explorer dental instrument, then visit GerDentUSA Inc. it supplies and manufactures the explorers and other dental equipment of the finest and premium quality. It supplies the explorers made with German forged stainless steel material, which prevents the corrosion of the equipment. Explorers and other equipment are sterilizable and reusable and require only less or no maintenance.
So, what are you waiting for? If you are thinking about the prices, then don’t worry, every piece of equipment is available at competitive prices. Go and visit the website and buy the equipment for your dental practices.